Author Topic: Breathing during practice  (Read 12485 times)

Aprameya

• Red belt
    • View Profile
Breathing during practice
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
Hello,

This question about breathing is for Master Kim.
Sometimes when I'm doing 25 postures with calm and smooth danjeon breathing with music (5 sec.inhale, 5 sec exhale) my body wants to make more deep and long inhale. Most often it happens when I'm changing posture.
The same question has my father. He also started to practice recently and instead of 25 posture does his danjeon breathing laying on the floor. He says that approximately each 5-6 minutes his body also wants to make more deep and long inhale.
Master Kim, please explain, why this happens and what to do with it?
Thank you in advance!

Ki-young

• Master
    • View Profile
Re: Breathing during practice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 02:07:40 AM »

Firstof all, conglatulations for your father's beginng !!  We do 5 second breathing for the first stage
  practice( joong ki danboub former part).  After about 100 days of steady practice, we teach the second stage(joong ki danboub latter part) with 10 second breathing(inhale, exhale, each).but this is not a absolute rule. We can adjust this rule to practitioners' condition.  The point is natural and compotarble and deep-concentrated breathing. Therefore, observe your breathing and compare between the two breathing patterns . You may choose the breathing pattern which is more natural and comportable to you. What is important is not the length of breathing but it's naturalness.
In the case of your father, he is recommened to follow the rythem of 5 seconds for evening his breathing as a beginner. Even and natural breathing is easier to make his seat of danjeon settle.
I have just seen your question today.  Sorry for having kept your question cool !

« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 04:48:30 AM by Aprameya »

Aprameya

• Red belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:11:03 AM »

Master Kim, thank you for your answer!
I will send your reply to my father.
As for me the problem is that it is very comfortable for me to make 5 second breathing, but when I'm doing some postures where I should lift up hands, for example, the inhale suddenly changes for more deep and I even want to make a yawn at this moment, I don't know why :)
Also, please explain, how the practicioners start the latter part of Joon ki dunboup? Do they start new posters and 10 second breathing at the same time? Or sometimes they start new postures with 5 second breathing?
Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 05:13:31 AM by Aprameya »

bskarnadh

• Yellow belt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 08:31:33 AM »
I also have a question about breathing. The transition from one posture to another is carried out by inhalation, or by exhalation? Or, maybe, there is no difference?

Ki-young

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 06:19:41 AM »
     About breathing while changing your postures!
   Usually, practitioners change their postures while inhaling. But that is not a strict rule which you
   must follow at all times.  Think that you inhale while bending your upper body  and exhale while straightening up at number10 , 20 ,of joong ki danboub fomer part. It is natural to change into a next
postures while inhaling from most postures. But what is important is which pattern is more natural and comportable to you. In conclution, you may choose .

Ki-young

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 02:44:33 AM »

About how to change from joong ki dan boub fomer part into latter part.
 I am sorry for forgetting to answer the question by Aprameya.  For about one week, It is better to change only postures with the same time of breathing( 5 seconds) and then when you feel that your
body has gotten accustomed to new postures to some degree, you may exend your breathing time
to 10 seconds. But if you feel more comportable with 5 seconds. You may practise the latter part with
the breathing time of the former part. Be flexible to get your optimal breathing. :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:24:10 AM by Aprameya »